This website has been discontinued. Thank you for your support.
GB&R Consulting (GBRC) originated from the desire to live a dream. A dream to provide services and products to our customers through integrity and honesty, thereby building long-term relationships and partnerships that will set an example of how business should be conducted.
GBRC specializes in the design and implementation of specialized integration projects in the Electronics and Information Technology (IT) field, working in accordance with the Project Management Body of Knowledge framework, which addresses the following ten knowledge areas: Scope, Integration, Time, Cost, Quality, Human Resources, Communications, Risk, Procurement and Change Control.
We strive to provide our customers with the optimized and balanced solution in terms of these knowledge areas.
We also have a passion for training and mentoring to assist in the uplifting of our community, and are involved in the presentation of Project Management training as well as assisting with on the job training through a mentorship programme.
GBRC specializes in the following fields:
Coming from the toll industry, we are well versed in the intricacies of distributed computer systems, handling huge volumes of financial transactions, and the related management and fraud issues associated with these financial transactions.
As can be seen from the summary above, we are not only qualified to perform Project Management and Engineering functions, but also to provide complete turn-key solutions.
The key personnel from GBRC have been involved in the following reference projects:
Project conceptualization, Initial Design and Feasibility Studies
1. Feasibility study for the communications infrastructure for toll plazas and remote ramp plazas at Bronkhorstspruit.
2. Feasibility study for communications infrastructure for the implementation of Electronic Toll Collection for GAUTRANS.
Detail Design and Tender preparation
1. Preparation of tender responses for the supply and maintenance of toll systems for the new CTROM (Comprehensive Toll Road Operations and Maintenance) contracts, issued by the South African National Roads Agency Limited, as follows:
1.1. N2 North Toll Route;
1.2. N2 South Toll Route;
1.3. Tsitsikama Toll Route;
1.4. N1 North Toll Route;
1.5. N1 South Toll Route;
1.6. N17 Toll Route;
1.7. Mariannhill Toll Route;
1.8. N4 Toll Route;
2. Preparation of tender responses for the supply and maintenance of a Management Information System to various concessionaires and operators:
2.1. N3 tender for new De Hoek plaza and upgrade of existing plazas;
2.2. N4 Platinum;
2.3. Chapmans Peak Drive;
3. Involved in the tender preparation for the Traffic Control and Management System (TCMS) for the M5, Hungary;
4. Involved in the preparation of several Traffic Control and Management (TCMS) tenders, which include among others:
4.1. M3, Hungary (USD 2.47 million);
4.2. Shanghai-Hangzhou, China (USD 2.55 million);
4.3. Huguenot tunnel, South Africa (USD 2.08 million);
4.4. Jalan Sungei-Besi, Malaysia (USD 0.65 million);
4.5. Kajang-Seremban, Malaysia (USD 3.8 million);
4.6. Portugal (USD 12 million) in concessionaire partnership with an Austrian company; and
4.7. Rumania (USD 10.3 million) in concessionaire partnership with an Austrian company.
Preparation, adjudication and negotiation of tenders and award of Contracts
1. Preparation of tender documentation, adjudication and negotiation with tenderers for the implementation of new lane equipment and software at Mariannhill plaza.
2. Preparation of tender documentation, adjudication and negotiation with tenderers for various sub-system on the M5 toll projects in Hungary.
1. Resident Engineering functions on NRA toll roads in KwaZulu-Natal attending to contract management and maintenance supervision. Supervised the implementation of new lane equipment and software at Mariannhill plaza and the maintenance of lane and MIS equipment at Marianhill and N2 South toll route. The contract were originally based on the Committee of State Road Authorities (CSRA) contract, but was later changed to a contract by the Committee of Land Transport Officials (COLTO).
2. Compilation of comprehensive asset registers for the South African National Roads Agency Limited.
1. Management of the following projects in terms of installation of the complete toll lane system and various supporting systems;
1.1. N1 North Toll Route ;
1.2. N1 South Toll Route;
1.3. Mariannhill Toll Route;
1.4. N4 Magalies Toll Route;
These projects included integration of a large computer network spread over more than 1300km, interfacing different operating systems (Windows workstations and servers, Unix servers, Linux servers and QNX workstations)
2. Management of the changes to lane software (supplied by an International software house) to ensure CTROM compliance;
3. Development of a patented Automatic Vehicle Classification System;
4. Development of a visual Vehicle Exception Reporting System, integrated with the toll system;
5. Development of a License Plate Recognition System, integrated with the toll system;
6. Development of a visual Vehicle Queue Length System;
7. Project manager for the procurement and installation of Traffic Control and Management Systems equipment for the M5, Hungary, with a total value of USD 0.7 million. The contract was based on the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) contract.
8. Initial project manager for the procurement and installation of the Toll Collection Equipment (TCE) for Jalan Sungei-Besi, Malaysia, with a contract value of USD 4.2 million.
9. Project manager on a Hydraulic Entertainment Simulator.
10. Project manager on a GPS guided Aerial Delivery System using a steerable ram-air parachute.
11. Responsible for certain subsystems on a test bench for the upgrade of the Mirage III ATAR 9K-50 turbojet to the Mig 29’s SARKISOV RD-33 turbofan.
1. Management of the following projects in terms of maintenance of the complete toll lane system and supporting systems;
1.1. N1 North Toll Route (4 Control centers, 57 lanes, maintenance team of 6 people);
1.2. N1 South Toll Route (3 Control centers, 44 lanes, maintenance team of 5 people);
1.3. Mariannhill Toll Route (1 Control centre, 17 lanes, maintenance team of 2 people) – This project included Electrical and Mechanical maintenance over and above the Toll Equipment maintenance;
1.4. N4 Magalies Toll Route (1 Control Centre, 12 lanes, maintenance team of 2 people);
Independent Engineering projects
1. Technical advisor to the Independent Engineer for Intelligent Transport Systems on the Elefsis-Stavros-Spata Airport Motorway and the Imittos Western Peripheral Motorway in Athens, Greece. The operation and maintenance of these roads had to be optimized for the 2004 Olympic Games;
2. Part of Independent Engineering team on the Emergency Telephone contract for the N3 toll route;
3. Part of the Independent Engineering team on the N4-Platinum toll road concession;
1. Involvement with the Standardization process of Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) in South Africa. This included the following work packages:
1.1. Techno-economic report;
1.2. Technology enquiry;
1.3. User Requirement Specification;
1.4. “Standard Specification for Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) Interoperability in South Africa”.
2. Part of the team working on the establishment of Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) interoperability for the Greek Department of Works;
3. Involvement with the “South African Society for Intelligent Transportation Systems” (SASITS), aimed at getting all role players from public and private sectors to discuss transportation issues and plan for the future of ITS in South Africa.
Documentation (User Requirements, Specifications, Manuals, etc)
1. Preparation of all Operations and Maintenance documentation for the N2 North Toll Route according to ISO 9001 guidelines;
2. Finalization of the Functional Specification for the M5 toll road in Hungary.
3. Researched and prepared a report on the new technologies available in Traffic Control and Management Systems (TCMS) for the Greater Johannesburg Transitional Metropolitan Council.
4. Functional specifications and Documentation for the Toll system and other supporting systems on the CTROM contracts.
5. User Requirements for Helpdesk and Spares Management software development.
6. User Requirements for the development projects (AVC/DCS, QLS, VERS and LPR)
Software and Hardware Development projects
1. Responsible for the embedded software on the Flight Control System for Kentron’s Seeker (Remotely Piloted Vehicle).
2. Software subsystem programming on ACTAS pilot training system, which is a missile simulator used for combat training.
3. Design and manufacture of shock cone controller for the upgrade of the Mirage III power plant.
Click here to download a printable PDF version.